Even More Great Ways to Save Money
We continue with the highlights of AARP's 99 Great Ways to Save - here are a few more ideas....
- Prolong the life of your fruits and veggies....wrap them with a paper towel and put them into a container or plastic bag. The towel will absorb water that causes rot. Also line the produce drawer with paper towels. Save a few buck a week or $100 a year!
- AARP's list says suspend your gym membership for the summer and take your exercise outside to enjoy the fresh air. But since we are in Florida - I would say suspend your gym membership in the winter and enjoy our lovely weather outside. It's just too hot in the summer!! You could save up to $60 a month for each suspended month.
- Go meatless once per week. One study concluded that vegetarians save approximately $750 on their food bill each year. So by ditching meat one day a week, you could save up to $100 a year.
- Use rechargeable batteries. A battery charger and a couple of AA batteries that can be recharged hundreds of times will cost about $40. Disposable AA batteries cost about 50 cents each, so you could save up to $150.
- Become a YouTube handyperson and save on home repairs. I have personally used this one. The shower knob broke and would not turn the water off or on. I watched a YouTube video on how to replace it and did it perfectly the first time. I saved myself the cost of paying a plumber a trip call - $100 minimum!!
Next week is our last week of Ways to Save Money! If you want the full list - click here.