A Few More Great Ways to Save Money
Over the last few weeks, we've been bringing you highlights of AARP's annual list of 99 Great Ways to Save Money. This is the last blog post from that list, but if you want to see the full list, check it out here!
- Pay off credit cards faster. Credit card companies charge interest daily. If you have a $5,000 balance and pay $121 every two weeks rather than $242 at the end of the month, Bankrate.com says you can cut interest payments by $359 a year on a card with a 17% interest rate! WOW!
- Buy gas on Monday. It's the cheapest gas day according to GasBuddy. Thursday is the most expensive day. Stick to Mondays and save $325 a year!
- Pick your flights carefully. The cheapest days to fly are Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. FareCompare.com revealed that a Boston-to-Las Vegas round trip cost $500 from Friday to Sunday but only $228 from Saturday to Wednesday. Savings $272!
- Shop around for meds. Area drug prices can vary widely.
- Max out your retirement plan. One-fourth of workers at companies offering 401k plans don't get the full match, missing out on an average of $1,336 in free money annually!
We have given you some great tips from this list over the past four weeks! We hope you have enjoyed them and can put some of them to work so you can save some money!